I am often asked by my mentees and well-wishers on why I am not at my next level with a fancy title and all. Few others assume that I am content where I am. Few years ago, I would brush these aside and say it is not my time zone yet. But now I have some cultivated details on why it is not just about seizing the moment.
· Just because you think you are ready, doesn’t mean your sponsors feel the same way
· Opportunities do not sit at your door step. Sometimes we have to wait a LONG time for the right place and right time
· There is always someone who is considered the best and you are a close second
· Some other times, you are the best but just not best for the job
· Loyalties are crushing – they hold you back and don’t let you go. Remember the saying, “Familiarity breeds contempt”.
· Then you get that one chance and you suck at your final interview
· Or you are written off in many altered ways that you conceivably cannot envision averting you from seeing greener pastures
· Remember, the hiring manager has an image in mind and they almost never settle for a divergent
· Also, you may not be the one that role is ear-marked for
· Acing the year-end doesn’t entitle you for an advancement
· Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future – but this is never true while looking for a promotion
· And then there is that one person who makes benign statements about you that end up deciphering as warps in people’s mind
· The right biome (brand, peer and sponsor support system) may be missing
· Personal life takes priority and you’d have to take a back seat
· When certain fluke gleams, you are over qualified
· Being institutionalized is not a good thing – you are considered as injurious to transformation
· And occasionally you do not have enough institutional knowledge
· Don’t be surprised if you are vetoed for not dressing up for the next job – merit is not everything
Nonetheless, self-motivation, perseverance, learning and continuous education should never stop. Because, similar to fairy tales, from somewhere, somebody comes along to end that dearth or jinx, and takes the leap of faith and gives you the much anticipated promotion and you end up being motivated ever after!